Kokkedal Castle was built in 1746 as a country residence by Christian August County Count von Berckentin. The architect was Johan Gottfried Rosenberg, who also designed the Count’s rococo home in Copenhagen, the Odd Fellow Mansion, originally called the Berckentinian Palace. That same year, Queen Sophie Magdalene (married to Christian VI) gifted the Count Kokkedal farmstead and its lands, which at the time came under the crown estate of Hirschholm Slot.
County Count von Berckentin was married to Susanna Margrethe von Boineburg zu Honstein of German nobility. After the Count’s death, Kokkedal Castle was inherited by his daughter, Louise countess von Berckentin, whom after marriage became Louise Scheel von Plessen. She was courtesan for Queen Sophie Magdalene and since then Queen Caroline Mathilde.
In 1864, Kokkedal was taken over by the co-founder of East Asian Company, Jens Frederik Horsens Block, who expanded and rebuilt the main building in the national-romantic style of the time (1864-66). The architect was C. V. Nielsen. Today, only the basement arches are in the original 1700-era look.
In 1910, the chamberlain Andreas du Plessis de Richelieu came to Kokkedal as owner. Besides being a skilled trader, Richelieu also had a past as an Admiral in the Royal Siamese Marine (Thailand).
Fastforward, and Kokkedal Castle opened as a hotel in 2011. It was taken over by the current owner Mikael Goldschmidt in 2013. Under its new name, Kokkedal Castle Copenhagen, and after extensive renovation, the castle has once more regained its soul – with a modern, Nordic twist.